Bill Varney's Life, Career, and Family

My name is Lisa M Varney, and these are my memories and stories about my father; Bill Varney, his career and our time together. I encourage any of his friends or family to add stories to this blog.































































Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Day 1, trying to figure it all out.

    Hi, My name is Lisa. My father is Bill Varney and there is no one I admire more.  He is a truly amazing man, but he's not well. His health has declined in the past year, and my mother and I have had a very bumpy ride these last 6 months, we are not sure where the next turn in the road will lead us, so I wanted to start this blog to vent, but more importantly to share stories about our lives together and his amazing life and career. 
    I turned 45 yesterday (It was a great day) but reality came screaming back at me this morning when I got the call that my father might not get better from this last round of hospital stays.  He has been in the hospital twice in the last 6 months and is currently in rehab at Mercy Medical in Daphne, Alabama.
    In 2003 he had open heart surgery, and in September of that year we moved to Fairhope, Alabama from Glendale, California.  He had a major car accident on Christmas Eve 2008, and was put in the hospital for Congestive Heart Failure in October of 2010. Unfortunately his health has declined from there, and now we see, what and if, anything can be done to get him stronger and able to walk on his own. Bill Varney is an extremely proud man who always tackled challenges with gusto, and seemed to arrive at the top with people loving and admiring him.  He was truly respected in the motion picture business and managed to change the face of sound in the movies we hear on the theater screen.
     I'll close tonight with "I love you Dad, we will start our ride down memory lane tomorrow. Sweet dreams." And good night to you all.

3 comments:

  1. Let's all hope for a speedy recovery. My thoughts and hopes are with you Billy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, Sorry you are going through this. It's a tough road that I also went on with my mom. It's not easy and I think you're wise to "vent" and to gather stories. I'm sorry Bill's having a rough time. But he has you at his side and that is the best thing for him. Just be with him. Tell him the stories of your lives and of ours - the ones you're gathering. If you need anything, let me know. We may be far away but we're as close as a computer!
    Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa - I just saw your response on my blog on THE THING, The Original Fan. I'll correct the post to read room D ( I don't know why "A" has stuck with me all these years ) Working with your father was one on the best experiences of my professional life. An artist -engineer of the first order...

    ReplyDelete