Bill Varney's Life, Career, and Family

My name is Lisa M Varney, and these are my memories and stories about my father; Bill Varney, his career and our time together. I encourage any of his friends or family to add stories to this blog.































































Monday, March 21, 2011

Our lives have been at bit crazy these past few days....

     Sorry I haven't written sooner but we have had a few doctors to deal with and a sick Billy to take care of....

     So, now the fun stuff, the stories, these stories may be from our family life, or the many studio adventures, it will depend on what my mind digs up, each day but there are plenty.

     For those of you from the Producer Sound Services days, you may or not remember this....
The machine shop used to be in a hallway by the dubbing stage, it was my father's first mixing job, their was a gentleman that worked their that used to have a pet mongoose. I used to beg Daddy to let me pet that darn mongoose and he'd take me over to the machine shop, I can still smell the grease, and that darn mongoose who always jump in its cage and scare me to death. Of course years later, I found out it was all rigged and it was just a big piece of fur, ahhh ignorance is such bliss! (Note...had to correct this story, Mom corrected me on which studio it was at because she remembers pushing me out of the way to get away from the mongoose, giggle)

     Summers where always fun at Goldwyn, lots of the staff had their childern there and we got to play together, it was an amazing playground, plenty of places to explore and we were always safe because it was gated.
     So many of the people in my father's career came from those days, like; Steve Maslow, Gregg Landaker, Kevin O'Connell, Don Rogers, Don Hall, Bob Litt, Elliott Tyson, and many more. He was so lucky, over his years at Goldwyn to work with the best of the best in film, and for a good portion of it I was watching from a chair on what ever stage he was working.

     When Dad started on Stage C, the mixing board have a smooth metal finish and the guys used grease pencils to mark all the notes and track assignments. There was a piece at the end of the board that was just a big piece of blank metal, oh what a great coloring board it was, grease pencil wipes off so if I didn't like what I drew, no problem, just wipe and start over. Those were some very fun days, me with my Dad, watching him mix cartoons or Quinn Martin TV, yeah, it was a cool childhood.

     Going to go visit Dad, but I've got lots more, so keep checking back, and please post some stories as well, bye for now...Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment